“Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity.” 1 Timothy 4:12
The mission of Nazarene Youth International is to call our generation to a dynamic life in Christ.
Membership in Nazarene Youth International includes all persons participating in Nazarene youth ministry who choose to embrace our stated vision and values.
The Church of the Nazarene believes that young people are an integral part of the Church. Nazarene Youth International exists to lead young people into a lifelong relationship with Jesus Christ and to facilitate their growth as disciples for Christian service.
- We value Young People…significant in the kingdom of God.
- We value the Bible…God’s unchanging truth for our lives.
- We value Prayer…vital interactive communication with our Heavenly Father.
- We value the Church…a global holiness community of faith, diverse in culture but one in Christ.
- We value Worship…life-changing encounters with an intimate God.
- We value Discipleship…a lifestyle of becoming like Christ.
- We value Community…building relationships that help bind us together and to God.
- We value Ministry…extending God’s grace to our world.
- We value Witness…sharing God’s love in word and deed.
- We value Holiness…a work of grace whereby God, through the working of His Holy Spirit, enables us to live a life representing Christ in who we are and in everything we do.
These values are important dimensions of the holy life and are to be reflected in the life and ministry of NYI at every level of the church. (Please refer to the Articles of Faith in the Manual of the Church of the Nazarene for more information on these values.) In reflecting these values, we acknowledge the following Guiding Principles.
Our Guiding Principles
- NYI exists for youth.
Nazarene Youth International exists to attract, equip, and empower young people for service in the kingdom of God and to facilitate their integration into the Church of the Nazarene.
- NYI focuses on Christ.
Christ is central to who we are, the Word of God our authoritative source for all we do, and holiness our pattern for life.
- NYI is built on relational ministry to youth in the local church.
Effective ministry to young people in the local church is critical to the health and vibrancy of NYI. Relationships and incarnational ministry form the foundation for Nazarene youth ministry, guiding young people toward spiritual maturity in Christ.
- NYI develops and mentors young leaders.
NYI provides opportunities for emerging leaders to develop and utilize their gifts within an environment of nurture and support, assuring strong leadership for the Church of the Nazarene. Leadership training, accountability, and mechanisms for evaluation and modification of ministry are vital functions of NYI.
- NYI is empowered to lead.
Relevant youth ministry requires that responsibility for ministry and organizational decisions reside with NYI leadership and the appropriate governing bodies at every level. A sense of belonging and ownership, a passion for service, and input in decision-making are key ingredients for the empowerment of young people through NYI.
- NYI embraces unity and diversity in Christ.
NYI is committed to understanding and celebrating differences and diversity in language, color, race, culture, socioeconomic class, and gender. Our differences do not diminish unity but enhance our potential and effectiveness. Sharing the good news of Jesus Christ in culturally relevant ways must always be a high priority.
- NYI creates networks and partnerships.
A climate of cooperation characterizes our relationships at every level of NYI. Networking within the church enhances the development and deployment of young people for service; NYI actively participates in such cooperative endeavors.
Our Ministry Framework
The Nazarene Youth International Charter provides the foundation for organizing, planning, and implementing youth ministry at every level of the Church of the Nazarene. Standard ministry plan templates are provided that local, district, and regional NYI groups are encouraged to adapt in response to youth ministry needs in their own ministry situation. Ministry plans at every level must be consistent with the NYI Charter and the Manual of the Church of the Nazarene.
The NYI Charter may be amended through resolutions approved by the Global NYI Convention, according to the Global Ministry Plan.
The NYI develops and implements a variety of ongoing ministries and special events to reach young people for Christ.
The NYI develops and implements a variety of ongoing ministries and special events to nurture and challenge young people to grow as disciples of Christ, in personal devotion, worship, fellowship, ministry, and leading others to Christ.