- The responsibilities of the NYI president include:
- Chairing the NYI Council to cast a vision for youth ministry in the church.
- Facilitating the development of youth ministry and working with the NYI Council to define the ministry focus in response to the needs of their young people.
- Serving on the church board and submitting a monthly report to the board. A local church board may establish prior to the annual election a minimum age for the NYI president to serve on the church board; should the president be younger, alternate representation for NYI on the church board may be appointed by the NYI Council, subject to the approval of the board.
- Submitting an annual report of ministry and finances to the annual church meeting.
- Recommending the budget for the local NYI, as approved by the NYI Council, to the church board.
- Serving as an ex officio member of the Sunday School and Discipleship Ministries International Board to coordinate youth Sunday School/Bible studies/small groups in the church.
- Working with the Nazarene Missions International (NMI) president in the development of a missions emphasis for youth.
- Serving as a delegate to the District NYI Convention and the District Assembly. Should the president be unable to attend, a representative elected by the NYI Council and approved by pastor and the church board may provide alternate representation.
- The responsibilities of other NYI officers include:
- Developing and designating leaders for various local NYI ministries.
- Being role models and spiritual guides for youth both within and outside the church.
- Defining and assigning titles and youth ministry responsibilities in response to local church needs.
- Distributing the following responsibilities to insure accountability and effectiveness:
- Keeping a correct record of all meetings of the NYI Council and attending to all matters of correspondence for the local NYI.
- Disbursing, receiving, and keeping records of NYI funds according to church board policy.
- Compiling an annual financial report of all moneys raised and disbursed to submit to the annual church meeting.
- Working with the NYI president to create an annual budget to present to the council and to the church board for approval.
- Cooperating with the president in every way possible to facilitate the local NYI ministry.
- Carrying out other ministries as assigned by the NYI Council.